When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can probably provide you with good news that your prep worked.
At Sunbeam Service Experts, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time may not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets strewn about during bad weather. Just ensure you have turned the system totally off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head out of your home, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Sunbeam Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Buffalo, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other problems that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for severe weather in Buffalo or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 716-427-6807 or schedule an appointment with Sunbeam Service Experts through our online scheduler.