Every year over 20,000 people end up in the hospital as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is put off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the winter months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your home safe, Sunbeam Service Experts is here with a few tips to safety heat your home.
- Install a CO detector on each floor of your home and replace the batteries annually.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a distance over three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Turn off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and pets away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, invest in a model that powers off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a cooking range to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your heating equipment is to make sure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your heating tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Sunbeam Service Experts will check to be sure your heating system is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 716-427-6807 today and find out how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.