One of the most common concerns that we hear about at Sunbeam Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Buffalo is dusty air filters. They might seem like a very small piece of the big home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us maintain comfort is a lot greater than most homeowners recognize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a number of issues for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you don’t remember to change your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you could encounter:
- Reduced airflow. This is easily the greatest problem you’ll notice when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being changed, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this prevents air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to give you the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is working harder as a result of a filthy air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s running overtime to give you cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a possibility if your air filter goes unchanged for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something gives out or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off excessively. When your system short cycles, it may overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shortened equipment lifecycle
- Decreased energy efficiency
- Lower air quality
- Increase in dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any likely damage that may come with a clogged air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the number of air filters available, give Sunbeam Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 716-427-6807 or schedule an appointment online.